EMT Program | Prerequisites | Required Materials | Finances & Scholarships | FAQs
The following prerequisites need to be completed to complete the required ride alongs of the EMT program. While they do not need to be completed by Day 1 of the course, we encourage students to complete them as soon as possible so there is no delay in scheduling ride alongs and completing the EMT course.
This optional course covers an EMT level review of cardiology, pulmonology, and neurology, with an emphasis on Medical Terminology. Whether you are taking the UCLA EMT course, deciding if the EMT path is right for you, or taking an EMT course across the country, the EMT Prep class will provide you insights and knowledge into the EMS field. Visit our EMT Preparation page for more information or to enroll.
You must be at least 18 years old on the first day of the course. You will be required to upload proof of age into Complio.
You must have a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from either the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross. Upon check out, the American Heart Association online BLS course will be added to your cart, which can be removed it not needed. Following purchase, directions to complete the online course will be emailed and your skills will be reviewed and verified during the EMT course. Following skills verification, you will be an email and American Heart Association BLS certification. Please visit our BLS page for details.
You will be required to purchase Complio, at a one-time cost of $60. You will upload your health requirements and prerequisite documents and they will be confidentially verified. Please download the forms from Complio that must be taken to your healthcare provider for signature. Our recommendation is you download the vaccination requirements from Complio and take them with you to your healthcare provider as they can verify what vaccinations you have received and any additional vaccines or blood titers that are required. They can also provide you any required vaccination records and sign the medical clearance document. Below are the required health prerequisites you will need to obtain and upload to Complio.
- Physical exam: Proof of a physical examination within the past 6 months, signed by a physician, stating you have no physical limitations for participating in the classroom and clinical components of the EMT course. The form for your physician to sign is found on Complio.
- Clearance for Mask Fit Testing: Your physician must also certify that you are able to participate in mask fit (respirator) testing. We encourage you to obtain this clearance at the same time you do your physical as it is the same from as the physical exam. The actual mask fit testing will be performed during the course by your trained instructors. Facial hair must be shaved if it interferes with the seal of the mask. The N95 mask and mask fit materials are included in your course fee and are provided by UCLA.
Proof of the following immunizations:
Hepatitis B vaccine:
- Hepatitis B vaccination records or
- Hepatitis B titer records or
- Signed refusal form which can be downloaded from Complio
- MMR vaccination records or
- Positive MMR titer
- Tdap vaccination record within the past 10 years or
- Tdap antibody titer
- A negative TB skin test within three months of the beginning of the course or
- Quantiferon-Gold blood test within three months of the beginning of your course or
- If you had a positive reaction to a previous skin test, submit documentation of a negative chest x-ray within the past 2 years
- Varicella vaccination record
- Positive varicella titer
- Documentation from your physician stating you have had chicken pox including the date of illness
- COVID vaccination record including the initial series and 1 booster dose, if eligible, or
- Completed medical or religious exemption documentation which can be obtained by emailing CPC@mednet.ucla.edu
Influenza (if your course is between the months of September and March):
- Influenza vaccination record within the previous 12 months or
- Complete the influenza refusal declination found in Complio
- Hepatitis B vaccine:
- Health insurance: You must provide proof of health insurance. Private, state, and federal health insurance are all acceptable. You are responsible for all payment of medical care related to exposure/injuries/illnesses.
National Incident Management System: ICS 100 and 700
You must complete the ICS 100 (Introduction to the Incident Command System) and ICS 700 (Introduction to the National Incident Management System) courses. These courses are free and following completion, certificates must be submitted through Complio.