The following prerequisites need to be completed in order to complete the required ride alongs of the EMT program. While they do not need to be completed by Day 1 of the course, we encourage students to complete them as soon as possible so as to not delay ride along and course completion.
This optional course covers an EMT level review of cardiology, pulmonology, and neurology, with an emphasis on Medical Terminology. Whether you are taking the UCLA EMT course, deciding if the EMT path is right for you, or taking an EMT course across the country, the EMT Prep class will provide you insights and knowledge into the EMS field. Visit our EMT Preparation page for more information or to enroll.
You must be at least 18 years old on the first day of the course. You will be required to upload proof of age into Complio.
You must have a current CPR/Basic Life Support (BLS) certification for healthcare providers from either the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross. Please visit our BLS page for details.
You will be required to purchase Complio, at a one-time cost of $60 You will upload your health requirements and prerequisite documents where they will be confidentially verified. Please download the forms from Complio that must be taken to your healthcare provider for signatures. Our recommendation is you download the health requirements from Complio and take them with you to your healthcare provider as they can verify what vaccinations you have on record and any additional vaccines or blood titers that are required. They can also provide you any required vaccination records and sign the medical clearance document.
- Physical exam: Proof of a physical examination within the past 6 months, signed by a physician, stating you have no physical limitations for participating in the classroom and clinical components of the course. A form for your physician to sign is found on Complio.
- Clearance for Mask Fit Testing: Your physician must also certify that you are able to participate in mask fit (respirator) testing. We encourage you to obtain this clearance at the same time you do your physical as it is the same from as the physical exam. The actual mask fit testing will be performed during the course by your trained instructors. Facial hair must be shaved if it interferes with the seal of the mask. The N95 mask and mask fit materials are included in your course fee and are provided by UCLA.
Proof of the following immunizations:
- Hepatitis B vaccine/immunity: Hepatitis-B vaccine (start of 3 shot series) or signed refusal form which can be downloaded from Complio.
- Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR): Proof of MMR vaccine or a positive MMR titer.
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (Tdap): Proof of current Tdap immunization within the past 10 years or antibody titer.
- Tuberculosis: A negative TB skin test within three months of the beginning of the course. If you had a positive reaction to a previous skin test, please submit documentation of a negative chest x-ray.
- Varicella: A varicella vaccination, a positive varicella titer, or notice from your physician stating you have had chicken pox including the date of illness.
- COVID19: vaccination, including booster, or completed medical or religious exemption which can be downloaded from Complio.
- Influenza: If your course is between the months of September and March, you will be required to have proof of the seasonal influenza vaccination.
- Copy of health insurance card: You must provide proof of health insurance. Private, state, and federal health insurance are all acceptable. You are responsible for all payment of medical care related to exposure/injuries/illnesses.
National Incident Management System: ICS 100 and 700
You must complete the ICS 100 (Introduction to the Incident Command System) and ICS 700 (Introduction to the National Incident Management System) courses. These courses are free and following completion, certificates must be submitted through Complio.