Course fee: $395
This training program will briefly cover basic communicable diseases, transmission principles and prevention strategies related to the EMS environment. After a brief overview, we will transition into the Designated Officer responsibilities, the laws and regulations that govern that role and provide guidelines to have an effective communicable disease plan. Special attention will be given to California laws and regulations.
The course will take participants through the steps of setting up a communicable disease management program and give them hands on practice at exploring a communicable disease exposure and designing an effective post exposure plan.
- Review basic principles of communicable disease and common communicable diseases
- Clarify California and National laws and regulations regarding communicable diseases
- Identify the duties of the designated infection control officer
- Discuss the elements and requirements of a communicable disease exposure control plan
- Explain the elements of education and training requirements
- Describe effective measures to utilize for post exposure management
- Help to devise appropriate methods for record management
- Utilize various exposure scenarios to give participants an opportunity to apply the regulations and principles from the class
0730-0800 Registration and Continental Breakfast
0800-1000 Review of Communicable Diseases
1000-1130 Designated Infection Control Officer Laws, Duties and Exposure Plan
1130-1200 Working Lunch – Lunch included in registration fee
1200-1500 Designated Infection Control Officer Education, Post Exposure Management and Record Management
1500-1700 Infection Control Exercise
Veterans Auditorium Rotunda Room
4117 Overland Avenue
Culver City, CA 90230
View on Google Maps
On successfully completing the course you will qualify for 8 hours of instructor-led CEU credit . The UCLA Center for Prehospital Care is an approved Continuing Education Provider for the California EMS (CEP #19-0307) and the California Board of Registered Nursing (CEP #12416).