- Dates & Application
- Course Details
- Online Paramedic Program
- Entrance Exam
- Eligibility & Preparation
- Take us for a test drive!
- Costs & Budgeting
- Federal Financial Aid
- National Registry Skills Exam
- National Registry Skills Exam Preparation
- National Registry Skills Re-test
Complete Paramedic Refresher Course
Course fee: $350 • Nonrefundable: $50
Paramedics seeking to maintain their skills and certification for National Registry must also complete 48 hours of continuing education in specific subject areas every two years. Demonstrate your commitment to excellence by earning and/or keeping your National Registry card! This 5-day course meets the 48-hour core content requirement for National Registry recertification.
Our course has an 8-year history of featuring professionals renowned in their respective fields. Our lecturers include:
- Dr. Baxter Larmon (UCLA Center for Prehospital Care)
- Dr. Heather Davis (UCLA Center for Prehospital Care/Paramedic Education Program)
- Brian Wheeler (UCLA Center for Prehospital Care/Paramedic Education Program)
- John Kades (L.A. County Coroner)
- Jim Crabtree (L.A. County EMS Agency)
- Nanci Medina (Los Angeles Fire Department)
- Ian Good (L.A. County Fire Department Hazmat)
- Tony Melendez (Huntington Memorial Hospital)
- Elaine Rojas (Grossman Burn Center)
Upon successful completion of the entire course you will earn a course completion certificate and 48 hours of instructor-led CEU credit for paramedics, registered nurses, and mobile intensive care nurses (MICNs).
ACLS/BLS Skills & Recertification
The fourth day of the October course will feature ACLS and BLS skills. If you have a current AHA ACLS certification, this will renew your certification for two years. If your certification has lapsed, you may take our Online Heartcode ACLS (with additional fee) prior to the skills day and receive your card on successful completion of the skills component in your Paramedic Refresher course. Likewise for BLS, if you have a current certification this skills session will renew it. If your BLS certification has expired, you may take the online BLS course to be issued a new card at the October course. Please bring your current ACLS and BLS cards to take advantage of the renewal. We must see your non-expired card, or your completion certificate from the online Heartcode course, to issue a new card.
Please review the pre-course homework at the bottom of this page prior to the course. You can turn in the completed homework on any of the five course days. All other materials will be provided during the course.
This course does not meet the NREMT Transition Course requirement. The California EMSA has approved three online NREMT Transition Courses, as detailed in this announcement (PDF).
This course is held at:
UCLA Paramedic Education Program Campus
5220 Pacific Concourse Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90045
This course does not provide competencies in any skills area, nor does it provide a medical director's signature. To complete your NREMT-P re-registration, you will have to have your provider agency's medical director verify your competencies and sign your recertification form, or take our optional Paramedic National Registry Skills Exam Practice course for verification of your skill competencies if you are eligible.
There is a strict attendance policy for this course. In order to earn a course completion certificate for the full course, you must attend every hour of the course (no absences for full or partial days/hours are permitted).
Please complete the autism assignment and pediatric medical math test below, and bring both to the first day of class:
Please also review the following ACLS materials before Saturday:
The following documents have been provided by course presenters (large PDFs):
- PALS (Benjamin Esparza)
- Prehospital Obstetrics (Jim Crabtree)
- Understanding Diabetes Mellitus (Jim Crabtree)
- EMS Case Studies (David Givot)
- Impact of burns on children (Cynthia Guardado)
- Pediatric Differential Diagnoses (Cynthia Guardado)
- Community Paramedicine (Baxter Larmon)
- ABCs of Assessment & Treatment (Nanci Medina)
- Psychiatric & Behavioral Emergencies (Dan Nordby)
- Flight Physiology (Marian Williams)
- Child Abuse & Neglect (Lindsey Simpson)
- Domestic Violence (Lindsey Simpson)
In-Course Exam Keys
We are grateful for the support and participation of our sponsors: