Available course dates
Course fee: $109 • Nonrefundable: $25
GEMS provides EMS practitioners at all levels with the skills and knowledge to address the unique medical, social, environmental and communications challenges of older adults. Developed by NAEMT, in partnership with the American Geriatrics Society, GEMS empowers EMS practitioners to help improve medical outcomes and quality of life for geriatric patients.
GEMS features case-based lectures, live action video, simulation and small group scenarios to fully engage students in the learning experience. This course is entirely online, taught live by our EMS faculty.
Upon completion of the course, students receive a no cost Certificate of Completion from the NAEMT.
GEMS covers the following topics:
- Changes with age
- Assessment of older adults
- Pharmacology and medication toxicity
- Psycho-social emergencies
- Elder abuse
- End-of-life care issues
- Cardiovascular and respiratory emergencies
- Neurological emergencies and altered mental status
- Mobile integrated healthcare
- Special considerations for older adults in disaster response
- Skin and wound care
- Medical devices frequently used by older adults